My progress

Sunday, June 10, 2007

A quickie

Off to bed, just got home from work. We are having horrific storms at the moment. Click here for info. Worked 9am til midnight on Friday, 7am til 9pm on Saturday, 6,30am til 8pm tonight. Shipped little DS off to Nanna's (2 hours north of here) so that I could go to work plus we have had no power for 3 days (it's back on just now). Just as well cos I was out of clean clothes and I was considering wearing a ball gown to work tomorrow cos it was just about all I had left in the cupboard (just kidding, sort of...... haha).

For those who don't know I work in the Insurance Industry for a firm of Loss Adjusters so we're very very busy and it doesn't look like easing up anytime soon, actually it will probably get a LOT worse before it gets better.

Needless to say my eating has been crap (whatever the bosses wife brings in for us to eat at the office) plus i've been having a couple of drinks every night to relax, plus no time for exercise. Hopefully i'll get back to the gym in about a week or so, everything crossed!

In the meantime, i'm gobsmacked that we have so much water going to waste when there are people out there who really could do with all this rain. In one suburb west of here there was 10 inches of rain in ONE night?!?!?! WTF?

One of our dams (Grahamstown Dam) has risen by half a metre, most dams and rivers are full to overflowing. Seems so sad when there are people out there who would give anything for a drop of rain.

This Newcastle storm has been declared a natural disaster and the worst storm in 100 years, some are saving "ever". There are many people who have had to leave their homes. The worst story I have heard so far is a family in my suburb who have a two storey home. They had to be rescued by BOAT and to get into the boat they had to walk off their first storey balcony into the water - that's how much water is around at the moment. Ridiculous huh?

Plus there is a coal loader ship which has come adrift from its anchor and been grounded on Nobbys beach - right on the beach.

More links here, here and here.

I will blog again when I can. In the meantime I will spare a thought for people who have lost their lives and their homes in this awful time and remember just how lucky I am.

7 comments:

Suzy said...

So glad you are OK Bri. Yes, it is sad and horrible for those who have been affected. I have been worried about Newcastle ever since we heard the news. We lived on the border of Lambton and NewLambton near Wests Rugby League Club for about a year.
It must be so weird to see the ship on Nobby's Beach.
Work will be very stressful for you by the sound of things. Take care xx

Wanna_B_slimmer said...

I thought of you as soon as I heard about the ship... but dumb arse me didnt realise the storms were so close...
I hope that your house will be safe and that you will be able to travel to work safely also...
Lets hope this all settles down soon and you can get your life back to normal.. Take care...

Jules said...

The weather is so wierd at the moment. Last year the East Coast of the North Island was experiencing massive floods and now they are going through the worst drought in years and farmers are having to give up their stock due to no feed! So wierd.

Chris H said...

We have had a lot of news coverage on the storms etc in your area, and I was wondering how you were.... glad you and the boys are ok. You won't be losing your job in a hurry, the insurance claims are going to be HUGE from so much damage and loss.. it is terrible.

Sally JPA said...

That is crazy water.

Do try to take care of yourself emotionally with all that going on!

abc said...

Oh Bri, take care of yourself. You are so right about us being grateful for what we have. people are losing their lives and their homes, and their pets....and many will have to start over again. I hope that you are able to get more staff in to help with the workload. Big hugs to you.

Mel. said...

I am so glad that you, your family and homes etc are ok. I've been thinking of you during this time.